Will Smith is an American actor, producer and singer. Pursuing music in his early career, Smith teamed up with Jeffrey A. Townes, whom he met at a party and soon his iconic character of ‘The Fresh Prince’ was born. However it wasn’t until in 1989 after extravagant spending from his musical success that he switched his career to TV, with the help of Benny Medina. Nearing bankruptcy, Will Smith became his own persona in the 6-year sitcom ‘The Fresh Prince of Bel Air’ that first aired in 1990. From then on, Smith transitioned from the series to major movies. As his popularity exploded, Smith was offered a major role in ‘Bad Boys’ (1995) directed by Michael Bay and produced by Jerry Bruckheimer. The action packed cop adventure was a hit, and in 1996 Smith became a mega-star when he battled to save the world in Roland Emmerich’s epic action movie: ‘Independence Day’.
Today, Will Smith is considered one of the highest paid actors in Hollywood earning at least $20 million a movie. Most of his onscreen outings have been major blockbusters to-date. Smith’s children have also been thrust into the spotlight in both music and film. Smith’s spouse, Jada Pinkett Smith is also a successful actress and has been in the limelight for many years. Most recently, Will Smith’s son, Jaden Smith, made his debut in ‘The Karate Kid’ alongside Jackie Chan. The movie grossed more than $50 million at the U.S box office in its first week.
- Ben: Seven Pounds (2008)
- Robert Neville: I Am Legend (2007)
- Alex ‘Hitch’ Hitchens – Hitch (2005)
- Capt. James West – Wild Wild West (1998)
- Jay – Men In Black (1997)
- Captain Steven Hiller – Independence Day (1996)
- Mike Lowery – Bady Boys (1995)
- William ‘Will’ Smith – The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air (TV series) (1990-1996)
Awards and recognition
Will Smith has been nominated for two Academy Awards and four Golden Globe Awards. He has also won all three ASCAP Film and Television Music Awards nominations including a host of other honors.
Academy Awards: Nominations
- Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role – ‘The Pursuit of Happyness’ 2006
- Best Actor in a Leading Role – ‘Ali’ 2001.
Golden Globes :4 nominations
- Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture – Drama – ‘The Pursuit of Happyness’ 2007
- Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture – Drama – ‘Ali’ 2002
- Best Performance by an Actor in a TV-Series – Comedy/Musical – ‘The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air’ 1994
- Best Performance by an Actor in a TV-Series – Comedy/Musical – ‘The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air’ 1993