Brad Pitt is an American actor, producer and philanthropist. He shot to stardom in Ridley Scott’s 1991 classic ‘Thelma And Louise’ playing the role of a cowboy hitchhiker. The small part gave Pitt a new status in the circles of Hollywood which led to his first major role in ‘A River Runs Through it’ in 1992, directed by Robert Redford. In the 90s Pitt made very specific role choices and garnered international acclaim for his performances in 1995 thriller ‘Se7en’ opposite Morgan Freeman and his supporting role in Terry Gilliam’s ’12 Monkeys’, a science fiction thriller starring Bruce Willis and Madeleine Stowe. He later went on to star in cult flick ‘Fight Club’ in 1999 which is considered one of the best movies of all time, (directed by David Fincher).
Pitt has been a high profile presence for his good looks and has featured in many of the world’s top male and fashion magazines. His high profile relationships with Jennifer Aniston and Angelina Jolie have been widely reported in the media. He continues to choose a diverse range of film projects, often opting in for lower profile roles in pictures like ‘Babel’ (2006), but also playing in mainstream films such as ‘Ocean’s 11’, alongside George Clooney. He has also starred in two Ocean’s sequels. in 2007 Brad Pitt set up the ‘Make It Right’ Foundation which raises money to build sustainable housing for victims of the 2005 hurricane disaster in New Orleans. He was most recently nominated for an Oscar at the 2011 Academy Awards.
- Billy Beane: Moneyball (2011)
- Mr. O’Brien: The Tree of Life (2011)
- Tom Bishop – Spy Game (2001)
- Mickey O-Neil – Snatch (2001)
- Tyler Durden – Fight Club (1999)
- Heinrich Harrer – Seven Years in Tibet (1997)
- Jeffrey Goines – Twelve Monkeys (1995)
- J.D. – Thelma And Louise (1991)
Awards and recognition
Brad Pitt has been nominated for 3 Academy Awards, 5 Golden Globe Awards including one win and 3 BAFTA Awards. He has won a Saturn Award for Best Supporting Actor in ‘Twelve Monkeys’ (1995) and numerous other honors.
Academy Awards: Nominations
- Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role – ‘Moneyball’ 2011
- Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role – ‘The Curious Case of Benjamin Button’ 2008
- Best Actor in a Supporting Role – ‘Twelve Monkeys’ 1996
Golden Globes :4 nominations and 1 win
- Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture – Drama – ‘Moneyball’ 2011
- Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture – ‘The Curious Case of Benjamin Button’ 2009
- Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture – ‘Babel’ 2007
- Winner: Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture – ‘Twelve Monkeys’ 1996
- Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture – Drama ‘Legends of the Fall’ 1995